PFU America, Inc., the U.S.-based subsidiary of PFU Limited and the leader in document scanning solutions, today announced the launch of the newest document scanner in its workgroup lineup—the RICOH fi-8040—which integrates “DirectScan” capabilities for workflow efficiency and enhanced user experiences by eliminating the need for a PC. Compact and equipped with a 4.3-inch touch screen, the fi-8040 has been optimized for shared environments, supports LAN and USB connectivity, and is the ideal document scanner for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) across healthcare, retail, government, and more.
The RICOH fi-8040 allows users to scan using the same methods they have in the past while also being equipped for modern and future methods as it builds upon the success of its predecessor, the RICOH fi-7030. There have been numerous improvements to key functionalities, including an increase to scanning speeds by nearly 1.5 times compared to its predecessor – up to 40 pages per minute, or 80 images per minute at 200/300 dpi. A Manual Feed Mode has been implemented as well, enabling users to scan folded documents, and a variety of other documents, without the need for a carrier sheet.
“Our goal at PFU is to provide world-class digital transformation and scanning products that create workflow efficiencies and enhance our customers’ experiences -- and the new fi-8040 model delivers all this and more,” said Daisuke Kutsuwada, President and CEO, PFU America, Inc. “With the integration of novel functions and software, including DirectScan and PaperStream ClickScan, the fi-8040 scanner meets the evolving needs of our SMB customers, particularly in the new era of remote work, and raises the bar for what is possible in document scanning.”
Other key features of the RICOH fi-8040 include:
- DirectScan functionality that eliminates the need for a PC by setting storage location and scanning configurations in advance, and leveraging the touch screen to select a task and destination. Users can now scan directly to network folders, FTP/FTPS/SFTP servers, and attach and send scans directly by email without using a PC* via a simple and intuitive interface, creating more efficient data sharing for SMBs.
- Clear Image Capture is a dedicated, image correction technology that produces high quality images with minimal color shift and line distortion. The scanner driver, “PaperStream IP,” compatible with standard ISIS and TWAIN applications, is a simplified and user-friendly interface that provides icon visibility for uncomplex setting configurations and automatically produces clear image data, supporting OCR accuracy.
- Expanded networking compatibility support as the fi-8040 works with USB3.2 and wired LAN for connectivity in environments without wireless connections, freeing users from having to stand by a computer when scanning.
- In December 2023**, the fi-8040 will receive support to integrate with PFU’s PaperStream NX Manager server software allowing for seamless linkage with other business software applications and cloud services***, including SharePoint, OneDrive, DropBox, and others, expanding the possibilities for remote work and digital transformation in a secure and stable environment.
- In December 2023**, serverless centralized management software will enable administrators to manage and monitor multiple scanners, saving time and cost to deploy fleets of hardware across multiple offices and remove work environments.
The RICOH fi-8040 is available for purchase now for $655 (MSRP). For more information on PFU America, Inc. and its award-winning RICOH scanners, please visit https://www.pfu-us.ricoh.com/.
*To use the DirectScan function, initial setup for available connection to an NTP server is required.
**Features release date may be subject to change. Software and/or firmware update may be required to support new features described.
***Requires additional development using the PaperStream NX Manager SDK.